Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Can You Hear Me NOW

OMG it is so embarrassing when you can't understand what the person behind the counter is saying!
My granddaughter and I went to a movie one time, and as we approached the snack counter the young guy said something to me that sounded like this: "Would you like to try one gumby?"
I knew that couldn't be what he said. So I said, "I'm sorry, could you repeat that? I didn't understand." So he did. I heard the same thing. Now inside my head i felt disoriented all of a sudden. I said, "I'm so sorry but I don't understand, what did you say?"
His face reddened, he looked at the other counter person, and then he did repeat it AGAIN to this stupid old woman. I STILL could not guess what he was saying. I kept hearing "gumby." I looked at my granddaughter, hoping for interpretation but she just stared back at me.
Why didn't i just say No thank you??! I was in the most confused state of shock and disbelief, because I could not de-code a communication spoken to me in the English language (I assume it was English!). I had a thought like, What am I going to do, I can't understand what people are saying to me!!!!!
I never had a thing like that happen before. And I'm not very smart anyway. I was not trying to be difficult but that boy just hated me by that time. I was so embarrassed my head was stinging inside.
So finally I just said We'd like M&Ms, and headed into the movie. My granddaughter said, Grammaw what's the matter! I said, I thought he was asking me if I wanted gumby. She said, NO, he asked if you wanted the COMBO.
I said, WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?? I couldn't understand what he was saying!!!!! She said, Oh i didn't know WHAT to do!!!
I'm dying laughing as i type this. I haven't been back to that theater since! It happened years ago, when my granddaughter was much shorter than me. Now she's about two inches taller than me. But we still remember and when someone doesn't hear what's said, we all blurt out "GUMBY!"




No comments: